Sunday, January 1, 2017

#Nurture 16/17

I haven't blogged a great deal this year as I have been trying to find more of a work-life balance. That has been hard to achieve at times (I know that I am not alone there). I thought it would be cathartic and, possibly, a positive way to reaffirm personal and professional achievements. So here goes...

Reflections of 2016

Our dogs

It almost seems trivial when there has been so much suffering last year, such as events in Siberia, the loss of lives from the earthquake in Italy, the terrorist attacks that have destroyed families, but the loss of our beloved dogs was heart-breaking. They were approaching their thirteenth year and we said goodbye to Macy in February as she had lost the use of her hind legs. It was the kindest thing to do. We were absolutely devastated that Sabre fell ill within a month. Possibly from grief. She had seemed so spritely and it was a massive shock when she died. It was a huge loss to our family and nobody wanted to be in the house on their own. Nobody wanted to be the first home from work as the house was just so empty. We made sure they had a beautiful resting place, in a lovely field with a beautiful view and they have been placed in their running position, with some of their things to take them into the 'afterlife'.

  


Grief for dogs is hard, as I'm sure anyone who has them will know. Small things can trigger emotions, but you don't feel like you have the right to be upset when you know that there are people who have lost, or have very sick, family members. My cousin died just before Christmas last year in a car accident, leaving two children, a twin, a sister and two devastated parents. Losing elderly dogs does not compare in any way to this and yet I had to go through a grieving process. One of the more rash things was to search obsessively for a dog to fill the gap. We have welcomed to our family Beau, our first male dog and one who looks similar, but totally different to our beloved girls. We have rehomed him from a family, so he is great with children, though possibly has a slight attachment disorder... He will hopefully be a good running partner in years to come.

A run down to Macy and Sabre's resting place


China

Last year I was able to tick off this destination in my bucket list. It was an incredible trip and I had a fantastic travelling partner, Ann. We booked the trip through Responsible Travel, which meant that we were tourists who helped local communities. We travelled from Shanghai, to X'ian then on to Beijing and the Great Wall of China. There are far too many highlights and I could not write them all here, but I have to say it really was the trip of a lifetime.



OfSTED

We got the call in October, just shy of the two years when we previously received a grading of RI. To put that in context, they had sat on the fence during the last inspection and there are things we maybe should have done in hindsight to convince them we were good. I never doubted that we were. All visitors, our cluster schools, supply teachers etc seemed shocked by the outcome and it had an impact on staff morale. From my perspective it had felt like a fair inspection. Rigorous, but fair. Our inspection this year felt very different. It was fast-paced - as expected - and gruelling. The fact that our OfSTED fell at the same time as parents' evening and the handle broke on our HT's office, locking us out for a couple of hours (seriously!!), didn't help. 

 It felt like a fight, but I am proud that it was acknowledged that we are a good school and that we know our children really well. OfSTED understood our curriculum and ethos and the benefits for our children. I feel sad that they did not come and watch me teach, because they would have seen a passionate teacher, eager children who have made phenomenal progress and lots of Jambots at one point! It was a huge relief to wave goodbye and to have the half term holiday to recooperate. 

Social media

I spent less and less time on twitter last year, mostly because I was fed up with the spats that were taking over my timeline. My hackles kept going up because I couldn't understand why educational professionals, who should know better, would publicly try to humiliate each other (we all do a difficult enough job as it is). Even experienced professionals get it wrong sometimes and I believe that humbly admitting that is a quality I respect. Some professionals just have to 'see' that there are many ways of viewing the educational world.

 I have stated my opinion before now, then immediately regretted getting caught up as I know that I am neither quick nor articulate enough to respond in a tweet. The best option seemed to be staying away - and by that I mean not scanning through my timeline. I have tried to reduce the people I follow, but that is not easy as I still want to read influential blog posts.

One of the positive things I think I have done this year is to start the deputy head network. It was an attempt to encourage folk to share blog posts, news etc through facebook, saving folk like me the twitter trawl whilst enabling us to keep up with current events and innovative ideas. If you are not a member, please do come and join us. You don't have to be a deputy, just passionate about progress and interested in lifelong learning.



We have also managed to reinstate #DLChat on a Tuesday night, which seems much better for the majority of folk. It is great to see that the hashtag still gets used and that new people are joining in. Some long-standing advocates, like me, have different priorities now, but they still make time to share the thoughts and ideas. Long may it continue!

Being a SENDco

I passed the SENDco award in October. The work load was unsustainable, but there were many positive things about it. It added to a very busy year, with year 2, deputy, SENDco, county moderator and assessment coordinator commitments, but I think I can look back and say that some of those things I have done well ...


My hopes for next year

These haven't really changed from my hopes last year. I want to be a better person and to be better at everything I do.

Sharing the education love!

My very good friend Jenni and I are hosting a SEN teachmeet/unconference next year (do come!) and I hope that there will be more opportunities to replicate this sharing of good practice. We are so lucky to have Mary Myatt generously give her time to this.

  I will endeavour to share more on the deputy head network and will attempt to blog more. I am hopeful that the reduced workload from the SEN course will allow me the time to renew my spark and the capacity to think outside the box again. I think that I have managed to give my children an exciting curriculum throughout, but am keen to do more things that will have an impact at a whole-school level.

Wellbeing

I hope that I can continue running, with Beau. My painful foot and his naughtiness have made this tricky at times. I know that I will keep reading for pleasure, travelling, enjoying the great outdoors and going to the seaside. I hope that I find more time for sketching and painting next year. I know that I will spend lots of time with family and friends, appreciating life! I still haven't managed to find a yoga class.

Lifelong learning

I shall carry on learning next year with educational reading, but would also like to learn to do something new. I'm not sure what. It may involve learning outdoors activities as I feel like I can put more energy into this in school next year, now that the year 2 pressure is off. I need to do some governor training and will also try and fit in a trip to the apple store so that I start using my mac properly. I know that I will continue to learn loads from my passionate, knowledgeable friends and colleagues: Amanda, Jenni, Judith, Becki and the Old Buck SENDco crew.

Digital leaders

I know that I need to push this more in school. I have my class digital leaders and I run a year 6 code club, but these are often difficult to manage when there are so many other things going on in school. I felt very honoured to be asked to deliver a keynote at an ICT conference again in 2017, but I felt like I had to say no. It's not because I wouldn't have anything to say - I could talk passionately about digital leaders for hours - but it feels a tad fraudulent when I am not the ICT coordinator at school and I don't organise the year 6 digital leaders. I keep my hand in with innovative ICT by getting together with the wonderful Kevin Sait and our enthusiastic code club members, but there's always more to be done.




Healthy eating

Maybe this will be the year when I limit my sugar consumption ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be patient, your comment will be posted once moderated.